Sunday, 1 February 2015

Sunday Dinner WWII Rationing Style

It's my turn to cook Sunday dinner today, and since I got the fruit cake recipe from WWII I decided to go with a rationing themed dinner. I came across this recipe so I thought I'd give it a go:


I'm not too hot on pastry so I went for a mashed potato top, and I dished it up with minted peas and roasted veg and onion gravy with the fruit cake and custard for afters.




The pie took about 35 mins in the oven at about 180 C. It was a definite hit with the housemates! I think next time I might try a potato pastry:

Wholemeal War Style Potato Pastry

2 oz / 50g white vegetable fat
8 oz / 225g wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
8 oz / 225g cold cooked mashed potato
1 tbsp milk

Rub the fat into the flour, stir in the salt and work this mixture into the mashed potato, adding the milk in a little at a time.

Knead on a floured board until the dough is smooth and fairly soft. Roll out the dough according to the recipe. This pastry is normally baked at 200 C.

Grandma's fruit cake was also a success, though I did leave it in a bit too long! Originally this would have had only 2 oz / 50g of fruit in there! I think next time I will soak the fruit in tea to give it more of a tea loaf feel.




1 comment:

  1. i love potato pastry! give it a go, super easy to work with.
    your meal looks delicious! xox

    ReplyDelete