We used the Christmas Cake recipe from Delia Smith - you can't beat a bit of Delia!
We also made mince and bottled it so that we can make mince pies closer to Christmas. We used Mary Berry's Mincemeat recipe though we added in some apricots and some walnuts as well.
- 175g currants
- 175g raisins
- 175g sultanas
- 175g dried cranberries
- 100g mixed peel
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 125g butter, cut into cubes
- 50g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 200ml brandy, rum or sherry
Makes 4 x 370g jars
- Measure all of the ingredients except the alcohol into a large pan. Heat gently, allowing the butter to melt, then simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely then stir in the brandy, rum or sherry.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jam jars, seal tightly, label and store in a cool place.
Make the mincemeat up to six months ahead and store in a cool place. It’s not necessary to freeze mincemeat as it stores so well.