Friday, 29 August 2014

Happy Day 15: Play It Again Sam

#100HappyDays Day 15: An Unexpected Serenade on the Piano at the Train Station.
The high speed train to London gets into St Pancras which is always a delight. They have some pianos scattered around the place and as I was walking through to get to the tube I stopped to listen to a gentleman playing Danny Boy and the Rose of Tralee. He noticed me and beckoned me over. 'Do you play?' he asked without breaking his chord sequence. 'I used to', I replied. 'There is no used to. If you play, you play, even if it was 15 years ago or yesterday. 'You would measure time the measureless and the immeasurable. Yet the timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness....' Khalil Gibran that was, from the Prophet, oh you've read it?' I nodded. He looked directly at me and asked, 'What's your name?' I replied that my name is Nat. 'Nat... ah! Nat King Cole!' and then he played a beautifully ornate rendition of 'When I Fall in Love'. I missed my train and had to wait for another one - but somethings are worth missing trains for.


And here is the legend himself:


No comments:

Post a Comment