Thursday, 22 May 2014

How Do You Like Them Apples

Me: 'Oh no! I'm supposed to make cake for my lady! and now it's 9pm!'
Middle B: 'That's ok, we can still make it. Let's run down to the shops for eggs and apples.'

This is why Middle B is my best friend - because she has a cool head in a cake crisis, that's why. I've been revising with my main student at work, it's her third year exams and she's working really hard. We joked around about me making a different cake for each exam, and later on I thought 'why not?', so she has her homework and I have mine. So far we have had: Terrorism and Political Violence for which I made a White Chocolate and Chilli cake, American Foreign Policy got a Key Lime Pie (from How to Be a Domestic Goddess), Europe and the World was a glittery Banana Bread because 'buying bananas is a political act!' according to our lecturer (from The Moosewood Cookbook, look for the carrot cake recipe it's the best) and the next one is European Security Co-operation since 1945 which reminded my lady of apples, so I made her a basic apple sponge according to Middle B's wonderfully easy sponge recipe, which I shall bring into our revision session tomorrow. 

Middle B's Basic Go-to Sponge Recipe

4 oz butter
4 oz sugar
4 oz self raising flour (or plain flour with a couple of tsp of baking powder)
2 eggs

I added in 2 small apples. This makes a small loaf or a sandwich tin's worth of cake.

- Heat the oven to 180 C.
- Line the tin with parchment and grease it. Sprinkle a bit of sugar at the bottom and arrange apple slices. This is essentially an upside down cake, so feel free to make it as pretty as you like.
- Cream together butter, sugar and flour, then add in the eggs and mix up.
- Pour batter over the apple slices.
- Bake for about 30 - 40 mins roughly, a skewer should come out clean, the top will be firm but slightly springy to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.

Sometimes Middle B just sprinkles an ounce of poppy seeds in the pan instead and makes up a lemon syrup, thus turning this into a lemon drizzle cake, sometimes she skips the apples and makes a plain sponge with this recipe. I think it would be lovely with peaches and raspberries myself. This is a very adaptable recipe and easy to remember - maybe I'll get into making sponges, who knows?

Right now to get thinking about the last couple of exams....




No comments:

Post a Comment