Tuesday, 19 November 2013

When the Moon Hits Your Eye like a Big Pizza Pie

I spent the weekend with the Fairy Princess family by the seaside which was very exciting as always. I love staying at their house, the girls are adorable (if a little wayward.... I believe the phrase 'she's knows her own mind' well applies to both of them in different ways) and they always think of something fun to do. It's like having a mini-holiday.

On Saturday, FP Daddy made some pizza dough for us and we all made our own pizzas and calzones. Well, maybe more pizza pie and giant cornish pasty, but hey, who's counting?! It was so much fun - I love playing with my food!

While the pizza creations were in the oven, the big Fairy Princess and I watched Wreck-It Ralph. One of the reasons I like going round there is that I get to watch kids films, I'm not ashamed to admit it. It wasn't amazing but I liked it. In the evening, once we had stuffed ourselves and put the girls to bed, FP Mummy cracked open a bottle of white and we watched Midnight in Paris. It was so very lovely and got me thinking I should probably read more classics! I've never read any Hemmingway, can you believe it? There were so many famous characters in the film I'll have to watch it again to spot them all. And I must say that Marion Cotillard got to wear some fabulous dresses.

The next day we all had breakfast together. mooched about and played with some balloons. Then some friends came round and so little FP had someone to play with while big FP and I watched Tangled. I'd never seen it before, but nearly everyone I know loves it, so not before time. As usual, it was a relaxing and fun weekend.

Pizza Dough

enough for 6 - 8 medium pizzas

1kg strong bread flour
1 tsp fine ground salt
2 x 7g packets of dried yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
4 tbsp olive oil
650 ml luke warm water

- Sift the flour and the salt into a bowl and make a little well in the middle.
- Mix together all the other ingredients into the water. Leave for a few minutes for the yeast to activate and then pour into the well. Start mixing the flour and water together until you get dough.
- Place the dough ball in a flour dusted bowl with a damp cloth over it and place in a warm room for about an hour. The dough should rise to almost double it's size.
- Remove the dough and knead it. (If you don't want to use it immediately cover it in clingfilm and put it in the fridge or freezer.)
- Roll out the dough and leave for a few minutes before you add your toppings.
- Bake pizzas for 10 to 20 mins depending on the thickness of your base.

We ended up using some thick spicy tomato sauce and then had a variety of toppings to choose from including fried mushrooms, spinach, gorgonzola, mozarella, cheddar, pepperoni, salami, peppers, meatballs and falafels. The kids made pizzas and because the dough was so thick they looked more like pizza pies.


I made a calzone, so instead of laying it flat like a pizza, you turn the sides up and secure them together like a cornish pasty. It's helpful to roll the dough out pretty thin for this, but not too thin - I ended up patching up a hole! FP Daddy meanwhile had the biggest calzone I've ever seen, it even needed an especially large plate! He ended up having half of it for lunch the next day.


Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment