Monday, 23 September 2013

Un-recipes

I always carry a notebook with my to record bits and pieces - mostly things people say, interesting book titles, shopping lists and to-do lists. I was flicking through an old one today to find a cake recipe that I had jotted down in there, when I stumbled across these two gems that my auntie made for me when we visited them. I have no idea what recipe book they're from - feel free to tell me if you recognise them - but they are perfect food to take to work for lunch, or for a buffet, simple dishes that don't take much time or effort and quite happily last as leftovers and can be put in sandwiches.

Un-Tuna Salad

- 15oz cooked chickpeas, mashed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste

Mash the chickpeas, and then mix all the ingredients together. 
This is completely vegetarian but it tastes a lot like tuna salad. Like, a lot a lot.

Un-Meat Loaf

- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 16oz cottage cheese
- 1oz / 1 packet onion soup mix
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes

Put the oven on at 175 C/ 350 F.
Mix all the ingredients together and bake for 35 - 50 mins.
This sounds like the weirdest mix of ingredients ever, it's true. In fact, if you come across weirder I'd like to know about it! Again, this is completely vegetarian but tastes very much like meat loaf (or so I'm told, I've been veggie a long time so I have no idea what actual meat loaf tastes like). I would recommend baking it in a loaf tin, that way you can slice it up for sandwiches or as cold cuts. Check the onion soup mix, but otherwise both are gluten free, hurrah!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

1 comment:

  1. These sound good - I must try the "meat" loaf next time I have some cornflakes around...

    ReplyDelete