Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Red's Down to Earth but Slightly Sparkly Birthday Cake

It was Red's birthday last Sunday and P's birthday today so as a consequence I am taking not one cake, but two, yes, two cakes in my handbag with me to jive class tonight. The cake-in-handbag thing is becoming so common it should be my middle name! P requested an Orange Drizzle, for which I used Nigella's Damp Lemon Loaf recipe and added in oranges and some baby blue glitter (which turned a light green). Red requested a Victoria Sponge, which I've never done before. He's pretty solid and down to earth so I'm not really surprised but I couldn't help but put in a bit of red glitter in the cream. It's not looking as springy as I'd like, but it'll have to do. I used a recipe from Delia's cookery course, because when you're looking at basics you can't go wrong with a bit of Delia. (Though I'll let you know once I've gotten a verdict on the sponge!)


All-in-One Sponge

4oz / 110g self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
4oz / 110g margarine or butter, at room temperature
4oz / 110g caster sugar
2 large eggs
2-3 drops vanilla essence

To finish: jam and/or fresh cream

- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 3/ 325 F/ 170 C. Line two 7 inch/ 18cm sponge tins (no less than 1 inch / 2.5cm deep) with greaseproof paper or silicone paper, lightly greased.

- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour and baking powder, give the flour a good airing while doing so. Then add all the other ingredients to the bowl and whisk them together until thoroughly combined. If the mix is too stiff then add a teaspoon or two of warm water and whisk again.

- Divide the mixture between the two tins, level off and bake for about 30 mins. When cooked leave them in the tin for only about 30 seconds, then loosen the edges with a palate knife and turn them out onto a wire cooling rack. When cool sandwich the cakes together with jam and cream in the middle. Dust with icing sugar (on in my case, edible glitter).

Et viola! 

Sorry about the glitter - couldn't help myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment