Friday, 5 July 2013

Sew Exciting!

I don't know if you remember me receiving this sewing machine the other day but I finally got a chance to give her an airing. I went to see a lady called Fran for my first sewing lesson yesterday. She could have come to me, or I could go to her, but what we ended up doing was me taking the sewing machine (who I have named Dolly), to the pop up shop in town that she is working in. Since I am carless at the moment I had to think about how to get an old, heavy machine into town. I ended up putting her in a wheelie suitcase and wheeling her into town, which caused an awful racket and jiggled her around no end but it got the job done.

We started off by having a look at Dolly and going through the instruction manual and all the bits and bobs. She showed me where I'd have to oil, and we threaded on the cotton. We couldn't use her much because the drive belt is slack and I'm a bit worried about some of the electrics so I'm going to take her to a place in Whitstable that can give her the once over and make sure she is safe to use. In the meantime, I got to know her a little and then put her away and used Fran's machine for the actual project.

Fran then taught me how to start off and do the little reverse thing to secure the stitching, and then how to turn corners. Once she was satisfied that I'd got that down on some scrap, she let me loose on an actual project. I stitched up a book bag in just over an hour - I was pretty impressed! Sewing is really fun. I made a couple of mistakes, but I'm really happy with the results (photos will happen when my camera decides to play nicely...). I now have a cute, little book bag that I made myself - hooray!

The next project is a little purse, where I get to learn how to put a zip in. I'm going to take Dolly to the doctors for a check up first though, so maybe the next thing will be done on my actual machine. How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment