Saturday, 22 June 2013

Book Club: 'The Hobbit'... well, in theory...

On Thursday, M&N and I got together for book club and were joined by an additional couple of people... it was so exciting that we fairly much forgot to talk about the book. We had gnocchi bake for dinner with garlic bread and salad, and I got chatting to one of the new people who I'd never met before - she only moved here about a year ago so she is still finding her feet.

After dinner, as is traditional, we decided to put a film on. You would think that since we had read the Hobbit this month, then we would watch the Hobbit, but as it turned out Middle B didn't want to - she said that she felt it might ruin the book for her, and I've seen it already anyway, and it's about 3 hours long which would keep us all up pretty late on a school night. (Never mind that we'll end up chatting to the wee hours anyway...) We ended up watching Looper, which made Middle B happy because she loves Bruce Willis, and made N happy because it wasn't a chick flick. I enjoyed it actually - it has a fair bit of gore, but it's definitely more action that horror. I liked some of the small twists in it, and it was well filmed.

Naturally I rose to the occasion and made cake - I found this recipe on Domestic Sluttery and had to try it, and luckily for me, everyone was happy to be my cake guinea pigs.

Twister Ice cream Cake.... oh yeah!

Twister Ice cream Cake

300ml double cream
100g caster sugar
2 limes, zest and juice
a few drops of green food colouring
250ml vanilla ice cream
1 lemon, zest and a squeeze of juice
1 raspberry or strawberry swiss roll
3tbsp raspberry sorbet

- Take the ice cream and sorbet out of the freezer so they have time to soften up a bit.
- Beat together the cream, sugar, lime zest and juice until stiff. Add a few drops of food colouring at the end and stir in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla ice cream and the lemon zest and juice.
- Line a 14cm glass bowl (make sure it's freezable!) with cling film. Cut the swiss roll into 1 inch slices. Arrange the slices around the edge and inside the bowl so that they completely cover the inside and base of the bowl, try and fill in all the gaps.
- Place half the vanilla mix into the bowl, on top of the cake slices. Spread it right to the sides. Then using a piping bag swirl some of the lime cream over it. I didn't have a piping bag, so I went more of a layered effect.
- Spoon the raspberry sorbet in a circle in the centre. Then pipe another swirl of lime cream around the sorbet.
- Cover with another layer of vanilla mix and another pipe of lime cream across the whole cake.
- Cover the top of the dish with cling film. (This will be the bottom of the dish.) Place in the freezer for 3 hours for it to set.
- When it's ready, turn the bowl upside down on a plate and gently remove the cling film.
- If there is any left, just put it back in the freezer.


It was a pretty easy cake to make, and there is no baking in the oven so it's quite fast too. I was surprised by just how lime-y the lime cream was! Altogether it's pretty fun dish to do. People had seconds so I think I'll be doing this again.

We then went on to eat an awful lot of popcorn and a few crisps - but hey, what's an action film without popcorn? Altogether it was a lovely night. M hasn't liked the last couple of books, in fact I'm not entirely sure she read the Hobbit at all, which would account for the lack of discussion, so she got to choose the next book. I have no idea if she will like this one, but I guess we are all broadening our horizons!

Next month: Animal Farm by George Orwell. I've read this already, but not for many years so it'll be nice to have a refresher. Maybe I'll see it with new eyes as an adult, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment