Friday, 10 May 2013

It's a Small World

I can't believe it's already May! The sun is shining and a soft breeze is wafting through work. By soft breeze, I mean howling gale, but it could be worse - it could be raining. Nothing much has happened recently, which makes a nice change to be honest. I do however have quite a few birthdays in May so there will be much discussion of presents and parties (or lack thereof). I will kick that off now: I remembered that G's birthday is sometime at the beginning of May not once suspecting that it would be on May 1st itself - which gave me all of 1 day to find a present! As it was she was away with her family, so I had a few days grace. This time of year is a little bit tight for me, so I was thinking about what I could construct from what I had at home. I was quite inspired by Kim Welling's Instant Comfort Pocket Boxes, so I decided to have a play around with some matchboxes myself. This was the end result:

It's a small world....

She's pretty earthy and deep, so I decided to try and fit a whole world in there. I cut out some butterflies and some celestial bodies and put some bits and pieces in like gemstones, a shell and some fabric flowers. It was fun finding things to go in.

The Box of Wonder and Delight

Not bad for a couple of days work! I think there are ways for me to get more adventurous with the construction, maybe add a bit of texture or layering, but I was pretty happy with this. I ended up wrapping it in tissue paper, putting it in a box (surrounded by packing peanuts), wrapping it in parcel paper and some string round it so it really was like pass the parcel! Fun times. The next birthday is my Mum's, and I suspect that I'll be a little bit more conventional with that present.

2 comments:

  1. Nat-la! Thats beeyootiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Dr. Smith! I'm sure I will be fiddling with matchboxes again soon... though now that I've made a whole world I'm not really sure where to go from there....

      Delete