Monday, 4 February 2013

Gratitude Day 4: Fresh Food

I love food. If you follow my blog regularly you have probably noticed this already. Not only do I like food, but I really like cooking and working with food, tasting all the flavours and seeing what will work together. One of the things I've really enjoyed about having a Cooking Club once a month is cooking food I've never thought about making before and trying different cuisines.

Yesterday, we made vegetable lasagna which funnily enough is not something that I do very often for myself. It was pretty simple layers of white sauce, lasagna sheets and tomato sauce with red peppers, courgette, grated carrot, onion and garlic. It was incredibly yummy and filling and pretty easy to do. To accompany it, we had garlic bread and avocado - yum!

Vegetable Lasagna

While that was happening, I set to work making 'Plushnuggets' from Completely Revolting Recipes. You start off by smooshing together two bananas with two tsp of olive oil and two tsp of maple syrup in a bowl. Then roll out a sheet of puff pastry and cut out circles (about 7cm across) and then roll them out a bit more, scoop on some of the banana mixture in the middle and then start to seal up the little package. Do this again until and pastry or the banana mix is used up - probably about 12 or 13. Put all the little nuggets in the fridge. Then warm up the oven to 200 C / gas mark 6. 

Stand back! Cooking is happening!

When the oven is ready then brush the nuggets with egg yoke and pop them into the oven for 20 mins. When they're done, let them cool down for about 10 mins before eating. This is a really simple recipe to do and doesn't take very long but they are delicious and they look lovely. 

Plushnuggets! Yum!
We had so much fun! And I must say the results were yummy. But - I couldn't have done it without farms and farmers and my lovely little greengrocers and all the people in that chain who go towards providing me with fresh food so that I can cook, create and experiment. If you trace it all back it's extraordinary how many people are involved in providing fresh food. So to all those people who helped get this meal on the table for us - Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment