Sunday, 24 February 2013

Gratitude Day 24: My Job

I have just had a week off work - and they say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I work at a University helping students with disabilities and dyslexia. Mostly this consists of sitting in lectures and taking notes for them, helping them in the library or with revision. I get allocated a few students a term and then I sit in on their classes. All of my students have been lovely and I get to go to some really amazing lectures but without the stress of exams and coursework and all that jazz. As Mrs Im remarked, 'You'll be the most over-educated person we know!'.

I like working at a University, the atmosphere is really relaxed. I like the flexible hours. I like the people I work with. I like that I'm out in the field just getting on with it and there is not that much paperwork. I love learning new things. I love connecting with people and learning about their experiences. I love helping someone achieve a qualification, and in some cases, their dreams. I like that I get to hang out in the library and overhear hilarious student conversations. I like that I get access to an incredible amount of talented people. I like that I am exposed to subjects I never would have explored - and that I have found most of them to be interesting at the very least. I like that I get to find out about student societies and have cups of tea for 50p at the Union Bar.

I'm very fortunate, I know that this is not the case for many people, but all in all, I love my job. For that I'm very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment