Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Comfort Food

I've had a ridiculously lazy day today that involved yoga this morning and then spending hours reading. Literally. So I decided to redeem it somewhat by cooking something new, because at least then I've accomplished something today, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Recently one of the girls at the wholefood shop gave me her recipe for Lentil and Peanut Butter Stew. I had some fresh coriander lying about the place so I gave it a go. Totally yummy, even if I do say so myself.

Cindy's Lentil and Peanut Butter Stew

Some garlic, onions, chillis
Lentils
A handful of coriander
Peanut butter, water

Chop some garlic, onions and chillis and fry them for a bit til the onions are translucent.
In the meantime, cook the lentils according to the instructions on the packet (I'd recommend brown lentils as they are easiest to cook, but any will do) and add a handful of coriander halfway through.
Add peanut butter to the lentils in the last few minutes of cookingKeep an eye on the water levels, the peanut butter will make the stew thicken up while it's cooking, so add a bit of water if it looks like it's going to burn. Stir in the onions, etc., and leave to cook for a few minutes.

I dished this up with some couscous, but I think it would be good with any grain.  I added more chilli as a garnish - it cuts through the gloopy-ness of the peanut butter quite nicely. Also, this is pretty filling, so you don't need too much in the way of accompaniment, but I reckon a bit of fresh salad would be lovely. I think next time, I might experiment a bit with some spices at the beginning and maybe add some ginger. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was! Though be careful with the amount of peanut butter, it can be deceptive. Happy eating! x

      Delete