Saturday, 24 March 2012

Sunny, sunny days

I hope this weather lasts, it's been beautiful recently! and also I'm getting over my cold and no longer waking up in the middle of the night choking on my own phlegm so that's a bonus.

I spent this afternoon with the lovely M, who is also full of cold, and we shared a pot of tea in the sun and then went for a stroll around the city.  We went to the top of the mound in the Dane John Gardens where you can see the whole of the city, fairly much... I don't think there is anywhere higher up, save the top of the Cathedral maybe.  Everything was drenched in sunlight, with a hit of mist over the hills, and both of us had just had a strong cough sweet so for a while we could actually smell the smell of cut grass and apple blossom that is all pervasive at this time of year.  After more strolling we tried out a new cafe, Brown's, by the river in the Punting Co. building, just off Stour St, past the bike shop.  It has big squishy leather sofas and huge windows with lots of light coming in and they do a mean latte, not to mention the cupcakes. We shared an orange and lemon cupcake... both of us went completely silent as we ate it, it was that good.  If you know me in person you will know this doesn't happen often.  Incidentally, whenever we used to cut through that way, across the bridge, I always used to walk past and see the big red sofas of the Punting Co. through the dusty windows and wished that I could go in... and now I can.  Be careful what you wish for, kids.  Anyway, we had a delightful cup of coffee and we both agreed that we would be coming back.  Probably together. Yay.

Then to top off a lovely day, I came back and made Green Pea Soup from my lovely new recipe book: Roald Dahl's Completely Revolting Recipes Yeah, really! I was so excited when I saw it, I had to buy it! Which is probably why I shouldn't go into bookshops when I have no money.  But hey, whatever. And if the soup is anything to go by, then it was worth it.  And really, who wouldn't want to make recipes called A Plate of Soil with Engine Oil or Hair Toffee to Make Hair Grow on Bald Men?!  I'm going to try and make Plushnuggets soon, I think this is the beginning of some fun cooking. Seriously.

We have a bring and share tomorrow, so while I was making the soup, I also threw together a cooked vegetable salad, loosely based on a recipe my friend Jules used to make.  I diced and boiled some potato, and put some romanesco to steam over the pan in a steamer (although you could leave it raw if you desire, and feel free to substitute cauliflower and/ or broccoli).  Then I dry fried some courgettes (again, you could have those raw, but I prefer them slightly cooked). Then I left all of those things to cool down and chopped up some tomatoes on the vine and some spring onions.  Once everything was cool, I mixed all the above together in a salad bowl.  Tomorrow just before serving I'll dress it in a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and mix in some dry fried sunflower seeds. There we go, some semblance of a cooked vegetable salad.  This is dairy free and gluten free which made my flatmate very happy - so she gets so eat something just like the rest of us.  Hooray.

Anyway, enough rambling for now...
Enjoy the sunshine, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment