Pistachio and Amaranth biscuits
3/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp rapeseed / canola oil
2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
1 cup rice flour
1 cup amaranth flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp chinese five spice
- Set the oven at 175 degrees C / 350 F and grease some baking sheets.
- Grind the nuts to a fine powder in a food processor, then add water, oil and syrup and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and all of the other dry ingredients together.
- Stir the nut mix into the flour mix
- Form into biscuit shapes. These biscuits do not rise much, they stay the same shape that you make them in so you can form them into balls, or flatter circles... this doesn't make a pastry really but you could try cookie cutters if you wanted to.
- Put the shapes onto the greased baking sheets and cook in the oven for 8 - 10 mins or until a little brown around the edges
In the end we added a lot more of the spice than it said in the recipe, but even so the taste was quite mild. The amaranth flour gives the biscuits a quite particular taste and texture:
|(The white dots are the amaranth)|