Thursday, 26 January 2012

Maths Vegetables

This last week I've been struck by the lurgy, so I've been trying to get better which involved sleeping lots, drinking lots of throat soothing substances and sniffling.  It did not involve being interesting, hence my shameful lack of correspondence.  To make it up to you, I present one of the most wonderous vegetables ever known to...,well, er, me.  
I was shopping at the little greengrocers in town when I spotted some of these lurking, and thought I had to have one:

natural fractals, yay!

This is a Romanesco. (I had to look this up here because I'm geeky like that). I thought it was a cauliflower, but it turns out it's actually a type of broccoli, according to Wikipedia, and is full of vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber and carotenoids, all of which will be good for my cold.  


The buds naturally form an approximate fractal, the branched meristems make logarithmic spirals. (In case you don't know what a fractal is, learn about them here)  The number of spirals on the head of the romanesco is a Fibonacci number.  (You can watch a lovely video about those here


Possibly the most exciting thing is that you look up close, it looks a little like a martian landscape...



....except that mars doesn't have very much atmosphere, so chances are it's not nearly as exciting as this, but  who knows.  Ah, food and yet also geekiness! Not for nothing am I the child of mathematicians, I tell you.

Now all I have to do is figure out what I'll do with this! Suggestions welcome! Yes, really!

Anyway, hopefully, when I stop sniffling and coughing, I'll get on out there and do interesting things for you to read about. Til then I will take my leave, 
adieu lovely readers, adieu!


Edit: I made the first half lightly steamed with pasta and pesto.  It turns out that they are like cauliflower, but more creamy, and the ends of the spirals have a slight artichokey taste to them.  I think I will be more adventurous with the second half and probably curry it.


2 comments:

  1. Am loving this!! Knew you'd make a great blogger. How about a soup with chilli - but then you wouldn't see the beautiful martian trees so maybe just eat it raw! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, good call, Fairy Mummy... I had half of it with pesto and pasta... I think I might add some chilli to the other half. I will let you know! xx

    ReplyDelete