Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Keeping toned

 I'm swinging by Lush tomorrow to pick up some goodies, but of course I always run out of one thing days before anything else, this time it was toner.  I didn't want to go out and buy a normal one cos my skin would have a riot, so I decided to make my own. 


Rose is generally really good dry skin, it makes the skin much softer and smoother.  Lavender is quite amazing in that it soaks up oil from oily skin, and gives back moisture to dry skin so it's the ideal plant to use in skin care products. Making my own also means that it's got no yucky preservatives, so my skin is happier, and also that I know where all the ingredients are coming from, so no animal testing etc.  I concocted my own mixture based on various recipes on the internet and it went a bit like this:

1 tsp dried or fresh lavender flowers 
2 drops lavender essential oil
Boiling water
Rose water 

Put the lavender in a mug or a tea pot and cover with boiling water, probably about 100 ml would do.  Let it stew for quite a while, until the water is cool.  Strain into a measuring jug and add a couple of drops of lavender oil.  Add as much rose water as you like depending on how dry your skin is.  (I put in equal amounts.) Give it all a while to breathe and then decant into the bottle you'll be using.

You can get lavender from just about anywhere, we have some growing in the front garden, but I also happen to have some dried food grade lavender lying about because I sometimes put it into muffins or biscuits.  Please use food grade if you're going for dried because it's safe to eat which means no nasty pesticides have been used.  Lavender essential oils you can find in any decent pharmacy or health food shop.  I got my rose water in a bottle at the whole food shop because there are no roses this time of year, but you could just as easily make it fresh by following the same steps as you used for the lavender.  Or if you like you can leave it out altogether.  I was catering to a fairly small bottle so I didn't need much of everything, but fiddle about and see what suits the container you're using, the toner does last for quite a long time.  

And there you have it! Home made toner.  Happy happy skin, hooray.

2 comments:

  1. This looks fab, I have a book on making soaps we should have a soap and toner making day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo! yes, indeedy! That sounds fantastic!

      Delete